Monday, August 17, 2015

Diva Dash 5k - Columbia, MO

August 8, 2015 ~ Today was the Diva Dash 5k race in Columbia, MO and I haven't done a "live" 5k since May 2015! Eek! Jacki Swank talked me into doing this one and I figured I better step up my game since I am totally slacking lately!

Jacki made this super cute tutu to run in. I got there a little early and y'all know I don't dress up so this would be an interesting run with this thing on! (I get too dang hot) I had sent Jacki a text letting her know I was here and never heard back from her. At this point I was thinking I was going to have to do this race on my own in a tutu.... luckily she found me and had left her phone in the car! Shew!

I found another friend, Molly Froidl who was doing this race too!

Jacki was pushing me and we were doing great... 9 minutes to mile 1 then all of the sudden out of no where Jacki pushed me down! Just kidding.... We were getting ready to walk it out and just before we stopped running I didn't pick my feet up high enough and tripped. I hit the concrete hard and skinned up my right knee and left elbow. Dang that hurt! I had to slow it down for a bit to get my knee to chill out and make sure I didn't tear anything up! (that was my biggest fear of trashing my knee)

Somehow we managed to make it in a decent time even with a bummed up knee!

This is what my poor little knee looked like after crossing the finish line....
Boy y'all better be careful when running with that Jacki Swank... she's tough! LOL!

Jacki talked me into getting some clean up supplies from the paramedics on site and even laughed how much fun pictures would be if I would lay out on the stretcher.... funny girl she is! Then she thought it would be a good thing to help clean me up (she's such a good momma) but when she thought she was going to put the alcohol wipe on my open wound I about lost it! Yes I am a baby and yes I squealed at the thought of her touching it! (OMG if you could have seen her face... she looked at me like "You are a big girl Michele... suck it up and let's get this done!" It wasn't funny at the time but I can laugh about it now! 

I certainly earned this race hardware! 
Just before I was heading home we were talking to different groups of ladies and as I am telling them that Jacki pushed me down there were other ladies that were telling me that they also had bruises from going with her. Now the truth comes out! Jacki.. you have some explaining to do! LOL! 

I told Jacki from now on she probably should make this her new race hardware... just sayin'! 

The Diva Dash 5k partnered with the Heart of Missouri Girls on the Run as their charity partner for this race! The Heart of Missouri Girls on the Run – a life-changing, non-profit prevention program for girls in the 3rd through 8th grade.  Our mission is “to inspire girls to be joyful, healthy, and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running.”

 Girls on the Run is a transformational physical activity based positive youth development program for girls in 3rd-8th grade. We teach life skills through dynamic interactive lessons and running games. The program culminates with the girls being physically and emotionally prepared to complete a celebratory 5k running event. The goal of the program is to unleash confidence through accomplishment while establishing a lifetime appreciation of health and fitness.



Battle wounds after I got cleaned up! Ouch! 











No comments:

Post a Comment