Friday, January 14, 2011

Funnel Cakes!

Well since most of the good snow is gone for snow ice-cream I had a hankerin' for something sweet. Most days a little piece of chocolate takes care of it but this morning I felt like a funnel cake! (No worries friends I am not preggers) and had a good easy recipe for one so I thought what the heck. So I whipped up a batch. Here's the recipe for those interested:

1 egg
2/3 cup of milk
2 Tablespoons of sugar
1 1/4 cup of flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking powder

I used peanut oil to fry them in which I think tastes a little better than plain vegetable oil but use whatever you have. I used a small sauce pan and filled about 1/2 the way with the oil and turned burner on medium high and tested a little bit of the dough to see if it was too hot or not hot enough (a fry daddy would work great.... I think) Once my oil was hot enough I started pouring the batter all around (nice thing about using a small/medium sauce pan) and used metal tongs to flip over the funnel cake when it was almost done. (I would recommend using a cheap katsup or mustard bottle that you can pick up from the dollar store so you get a more even funnel cake) Once it's to the perfect brown color place on a paper plate (easy clean up and catches all the extra oil) then top with powdered sugar or cinnamon-sugar mix and enjoy! That's my favorite part at the fairs in the summer is the funnel cakes! Since it was so darn cold I just needed something to remind me that Spring/Summer is right around the corner!
These are some interesting little critters I tried the other day.... basically they are homemade doughnuts from Trisha Yearwood's cook book. My opinion.... Let Krispy Kreme make the doughnuts.... they are professional and they know what they are doing! LOL! They were good but a lot of work to make them. Brandon liked them with jelly on them.... silly boy! Any who.... some of the crazy things I love.... sweets! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment