Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Tony LaRussa & I.... we meet again!

November 27, 2012 ~ Well thanks to many friends I got an e-mail that my buddy Tony LaRussa was going to be at the University Bookstore on the University of Missouri campus today signing his recent book "One Last Strike". (Tony and I are like best buds since I won his jersey in 2009 and met him on the field in Busch Stadium then recently met him backstage at the Eagles concert in Vegas and now he's in my home town! Total BFF's!)

I got there at 3:00 pm and purchased my 3 books and waited in line which was at the end of these stairs. By 4 pm they were sold out of books! They estimated there to be around 400 people so I figured it would take a while to get to where Tony was sitting. I just happened to spot Scott Schaefer & Dani Wex and slipped them in my spot in line (hey you always have to take care of your buddies and Scott takes awesome photos.... I had my trusty camera but couldn't take my own photos while talking to "the man"! Ha!)
As we waited in line (for 3 hours 15 minutes but who's counting) we looked at books! We laughed at many of the titles (boy are there some interesting titles) and the wild selection to choose from.
I found this jewel! Although I like some crazy things, talking like a "Wookiee" wasn't on my list!
Then FINALLY we made it! I was totally going to give him some grief about seeing him in Vegas...
I totally went up to him and asked if he was stalking me because 2 weeks ago we were both backstage at the Eagles concert and now he was in my hometown!
Tony said he would be back in Vegas on Thursday and I said "Well silly, I only went to Vegas to see Joe! This is where I live... in Columbia, MO!"
So then he was like "You know Joe Walsh?" and I was like "No, we just met him but we know his tour manager, Smoky".
 He kept signing....
Then he was like "Why didn't you tell Smoky I was there?"
I said "I did but you were gone somewhere else!"
 So he says "We were backstage seeing Timothy B. Schmidt. So you like baseball?" I say "I love the Cardinals... remember when I won your jersey in 2009 and came on the field to see you? It was awesome because you autographed our picture and it's in my office!" he says "I remember you wanted another player's jersey and was mad you got mine!"
I said "You know that's not true! I am proud to have your jersey and when you are inducted in the Hall of Fame my husband and I are going to be there to witness it! Oh and by the way... who was the black gentleman that was with you at the Eagles concert backstage... he looked so familiar but I couldn't place him?"
"Bob Gibson? Oh my God... seriously? You didn't know Bob Gibson?"
"How did you not know Bob Gibson?" I say "Look I've haven't seen him in person before but I knew it wasn't Lou Brock or Ozzie Smith!"
Tony was so much fun! I would have loved to pick his brain just over baseball and life in general. I am pretty sure he thought I was crazy! He said there were several other legends with him in Vegas and I missed out on a great time. Seriously Tony, you tell me now... why not in Vegas???
I hope this isn't the last time I run into him and I am pretty sure he'll remember that crazy blonde from Missouri! Thank you Scott Schaefer for taking pictures... what a hoot!
Yes, those were his World Series rings on the table where he was signing the books... Awesome!
Huge thank you to the University Bookstore for having his book signing here...
My book! Love me some Tony LaRussa because he respects his fans! I know I am just one of the crazy ones but he was awesome! Until we meet again Tony.....

No comments:

Post a Comment