Tuesday, June 25, 2013

My 8th 5k - In to Action Trail Run

June 22, 2013 ~ Today I would complete my 8th 5k! This trail run (a first for me) would be benefiting In2Action and was held at Rockbridge State Park in Columbia, MO.  http://www.in2actiontrailrun.org/


What is In2Action you might ask..... In an effort to improve public safety and reduce crime and victimization in the Columbia area, In2Action provides transitional support services to people returning to our community from prison. We know when not provided adequate supports and resources, those released from prison are more likely to re-offend. In2Action strives to reduce the likelihood one would re-offend through the provision of safe and drug free housing, employment support, provision of basic needs, and spiritual mentorship to name a few. (taken from their website)

Basically in a nutshell this program is to help those re-entering our community after serving their sentence in the prison system would help make sure the men and women had the resources they needed so that they wouldn't want to re-offend and end up back in the prison system. (If you remember my brother-in-law, Mike was released from prison back in September 2012 and it would be easy to go back to the way things were before but trying to keep him focused and around people that want to be successful has helped him re-enter our community without problems. Of course family support is huge as well)

This would be my very first "trail run" and I really didn't know what to expect. What I learned just before the event started is that we would be running through a trail in the woods that was created and come back out to cross the finish line. We got started at 9:00 AM and I did really good considering it was hot and muggy! At 2 miles in I was at 25:39 (from my "Map My Run" app on my phone that updates you at every mile with speed and time) but the last mile was a killer! You see at the beginning it was downhill.... at the end it was back uphill and as we know... the hills kill me! I felt great (no leg cramps, side cramps, etc.) and I kept drinking water (good thing I brought water with me as there wasn't any until you finished) but I was overheating and beet red. I was sweaty but you can't even sweat correctly with the muggy, hot temps. Just as I crested the little hill and could see everyone cheering you on to keep going I pushed hard.... I wasn't sure I had it in me but somehow I dug deeper. This certainly wasn't my best time but it wasn't my worse time either. 

Final time came in at 41:30 and I did it! 

Rock Bridge State Park....
Out of about 80 people that attended....
You kicked my a**! 
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment