Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Antique Sign Hunting ~ Missouri & Iowa

May 4, 2013 ~ For the past few weeks I have been looking for old antique signs to put inside our barn. I knew that we would have to look in small towns as the show, American Pickers, have caused signs to go up to crazy prices. We drove up to Downing, MO to pick up this ol' girl that I bought the weekend before but couldn't fit in my car as she is about 7' tall and 7' wide!

We went with some friends, Doug and Gretchen Fifer and what an adventure it was! We started out with breakfast in Kirksville, MO and then hit up a little place called Lawson Hill.We found a couple neat signs at a reasonable price and then headed up to Downing, MO to pick up this beauty (picture up above)! We were super excited to have this 7' x 7' sign in our collection!

We wanted to continue our hunt for metal signs and decided to go into Iowa to look around and a direct quote from me was "We are not going 2 hours into Iowa" when we were looking up where the American Pickers store was as something to stop and see. Well, we didn't go 2 hours into Iowa but instead we went 2 hours and 1 minute into Iowa! We traveled to Ottumwa, Oskaloosa, Pella, New Sharon and What Cheer! We ended up in a flea market at the fairgrounds in What Cheer, Iowa which was a perfect place to hunt signs. It had been raining all weekend and was muddy but fun!

All and all we picked up several great signs and we saw some country we haven't seen before which I love! I can promise it's never a dull moment with the Spry's!



1 comment:

  1. I got the feeling like m also with you while reading this blog.Keep on sharing posts on antique signs. Awesome blog I ever read.

    ReplyDelete