Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Adopt-A-Soldier!





December 3, 2012 ~ About a week ago I got an e-mail from Clear 99 (a local country music radio station here in Columbia, MO) to adopt and active military soldier serving overseas. After thinking about this for a couple minutes I knew this is something I wanted to do! Most of you know that everything I do is purpose driven and I wanted to do something for someone this year for Christmas that would make a positive impact in the lives of others.

I have participated in local Christmas programs where you are given a list of items for a family and deliver them to a location before the holidays a couple times in the past which makes your heart happy but have seen first hand people returning items to get a gift card to purchase other items they want instead of what they may need. (Sadly this does happen and it is not something the organization can control nor do I hold hard feelings towards anyone for this and do encourage others to support the wonderful organizations here in Columbia, MO) I have also purchased Christmas for children of people I have worked with at previous jobs because I saw how hard the single mom has worked throughout the year to provide for her family and felt I could take the burden of Christmas off their hands. (What a wonderful experience and each one of these families will hold special memories of how that impacted them) This year I wanted to do something different and I felt strongly about supporting the men and women that are currently serving our country. These men and women will spend the holidays away from their families to protect our country and although they knew this when enrolling in the military it doesn't make it any easier.

Midway Electric, Inc. as well as Brandon and I personally wanted to make this Christmas special for our adopted solider and decided to gather items to send to him. We purchased items in mass quantities such as beef jerky, turkey jerky, gum, candies such as Kit-Kats, Snickers, Reece's Peanut Butter Cups, and Hershey's Kisses, Special K breakfast bars, Cashews, Pistachios, Sunflower seeds, BBQ Sauces, BBQ wood chips, Toothpaste, Toothbrushes, Deodorant, Razors, Shaving Cream, Shower Gel, Mouthwash, Movies, Homemade Oatmeal Raisin cookies, Snacks such as Peanut Butter crackers, Oreo cookies, Nutter Butters and more! Then I decided to do a special pack with a Willow Tree "Hero" figurine, 2 Missouri Tigers t-shirts and 2 Missouri Tigers hats along with a Christmas card and a letter from us.

As I was buying all of these items (at several different stores) I was asked what I was making or was I stocking up for winter. I smiled and said that these items weren't for me and all of this would be going overseas to a soldier we adopted for Christmas. It was interesting to hear their responses and you could see that they were thinking about this. I told them it wasn't too late to log onto Clear 99 http://www.clear99.com/adopt-a-soldier/ and support our troops! I was in line at one of the stores and one of the employees over heard me talking and she said you don't know how much even a card would be appreciated during Christmas as it's really hard to be there away from your family and friends. (She served last Christmas overseas and was extremely thankful for the stuff her employer sent to her) That reassured what we were doing this year and how grateful I am for our troops.
I took all the boxes, packed full to the downtown post office to mail them off. I was excited knowing that this soldier (from the Bunceton area and a MU graduate) would be receiving the 8 boxes for Christmas! It makes my heart happy knowing that he knows people from Columbia, MO love and appreciate him and what he is doing. (The post office staff was very patient and friendly as I forgot to fill out labels along with the additional paperwork as this was my first time sending something to the military so thank you to the post office staff!)

No matter what organization you will support this holiday season live your life paying it forward when you can. It can cost as little or as much as you want. Remember it's the thought that counts and more importantly it makes your life full, your heart happy and creates memories for others to cherish! Thank you for making a positive difference in the lives of others.... you are appreciated!


No comments:

Post a Comment