Monday, April 8, 2013

My First 5k!

April 6, 2013 ~ One of my personal goals this year is to take better care of my body. I feel that over the past several years I have let things go and there is no excuse. I didn't put a certain date to start all of this because I knew I would just stress myself out. When I saw information about the Glow Run 5k on the internet I knew this was something I needed to do. I have never done a 5k before and didn't really know what to expect. I didn't start training and didn't change my eating habits prior to this. I knew this would be my starting point and I would take it at slow strides and not push my body more than I could handle. (I am defiantly not lazy but because of my fast-paced life I don't think about all the bad things I eat)

The race started at 8:00 pm and there was about 2,000 people registered for this event. I was at the very back of the first set of people that started the 5k. Many people would be running this and I knew better. I wasn't going to try and kill myself or my knees to prove I could. Instead I was a woman on a mission! I power walked like you wouldn't imagine! I felt good although runners from the second group were passing me. I didn't care.... I was doing this for me. (I will say it felt really good to power walk around several people that were ahead of me or those that mixed running/jogging/walking). I would breathe in through my nose and exhale through my mouth as I continued on. I had no pain anywhere and didn't feel out of breath.

Once I made it to the half way point I was thinking to myself "Really? We are already 1/2 way?". I grabbed a couple of dixie cups of water and kept trucking! I felt good and even added a little jog or two to get around others.

This picture was taken on the way back through the tunnel on campus getting ready to head to the finish line! (I am holding up a 1 with my finger because it was my first 5k.... cheesy... yep that's me) I started jogging because I felt pretty good and my knee wasn't bothering me.... I pushed myself a little harder because I knew I could.

Crossing the finish line.... yep I was still jogging!

This isn't pretty but if you can't tell from the smile.... I was proud. I didn't have a timer, not a drop of make up on, was sweaty but felt great! I had just completed my very first 5k in just under 45 minutes! It was an amazing feeling and one I will remember for many years to come. I have made the first step to a healthier me.... and it's not going to be easy. I will eat what I want within reason but always try to choose the healthier option and drink lots of water and occasionally a glass of sweet tea with my meal. I believe that I can accomplish a reasonable goal of  120 lbs (which I think is a good weight for me) in a reasonable time frame. This will be 20 lbs for me to loose and again, I am not putting any certain date to reach all of this by but instead making healthy choices along the way. I am not joining a gym instead I am going to walk every day or Mr. Spry and I will ride bikes on the trail when we have time. (Shhh... I am going to try and encourage him to do this with me but don't tell him) 

Today is my first day and I am giving it all I've got! You only get one body and one life.... how am I going to live to be 100 if I don't start doing something now???


No comments:

Post a Comment