Thursday, January 24, 2013

Stan Musial - A Baseball Legend

January 19, 2013 ~ Today the world lost a great icon....Stan Musial was a true class act and legend. His entire career would focus around our St. Louis Cardinals. He would begin his career as a Cardinal on his debut on September 17, 1941 at the age of 20 and end his career as a Cardinal on September 29, 1963 at the age of 42. "Stan the Man" as he was often called, loved the St. Louis Cardinals and the St. Louis Cardinals loved him.  This quote proves his love "I love to play this game of baseball - I love putting on this uniform" (Sports Magazine All-Time All Stars - Tom Murry 1963) Stan Musial was also the first player in Cardinals history to have his number retired.

As a fan I respected him. He always made time for his fans and as I began to collect St. Louis Cardinals memorabilia I knew Stan Musial was going to be some of the first autographs I got! One of my first items I purchased was a stone in the Stan Musial Plaza at Busch Stadium. The picture above is of me sitting next to our stone once construction was done. Our stone is in the "baseball stitch" right next to Stan Musial's family and I am sitting on Mr. & Mrs. Musial's stone surrounded by family. I cherish my many bats, gloves, balls, pictures and figurines of Stan Musial and know he is reunited with his wife. We will certainly miss him but he will never be forgotten.

Stanley Frank Musial
November 21, 1920 - January 19, 2013
# 6

No comments:

Post a Comment