Friday, January 1, 2021

2021..... Here We Go.... Happy New Year!



 January 1, 2021 ~ Well, sugars here we are... the first day of a brand new year and I gotta say, it feels weird yet exciting at the same time. I still can't believe a whole year passed by in what seems to be warp speed even though we were home a lot more than normal but I am ready to embrace what 2021 throws at us - I mean let's be real, we don't really have a choice so we might as well figure out how to enjoy each day and find something good in the moments that take us on this journey. 


While our office is closed for New Year's Day it's nice to just chill. Waking up without an alarm clock was really nice although we don't really sleep in anymore. Mother Nature is a hussie and decided that we needed to ring in the New Year with a sheet of ice everywhere. 



All is fine and dandy until I looked outside and saw the ice has damaged my little Lime Light Hydrangea tree.... 

She's all bent and one main branch is completely broke off... Not cool! 

Sadly, there isn't anything I can do about it at this point so I just decided to spend a little time outside capturing the beauty of the ice on everyday items... Here are a few of my favorites! (Yes I did freeze my butt off to get these but whatever, I'll thaw out eventually) 

I am debating if I should have brought my concrete critters in for the winter but the turtle looks kind of cool with ice around him! (It's almost like he just lifted his head out of the water except we don't have any water around him so it looks a little more like he had a really bad sneeze and snot now covers him! Ha!) 

My little rabbit looked like he was drooling and it froze! Ha! 

My rhododendron has had a heck of a year because Mother Nature thought it would be fun to act like she would go into Fall and then bring back Summer while doing the same with Winter. I had plants trying to re-bloom and knew they would get zapped by something crazy. Although I gotta say they do look cool encased in ice. 


Another rhododendron around back..... 


I sure hope they all make it this Spring... Fingers Crossed! 



I didn't see any birds while I was walking around in the yard but the feeders had ice on them but didn't affect how they would get their seed. (Now that I went back in the house the birds have been on their feeders so that's a good sign! Little shits will eat you out of house and home as if no one else is feeding them! They better be careful or they will be on a diet! Ha! ) 


My Uncle James Brown's old bell looked really cool ice covered! I am so glad I got these put up before the weather got crazy and I am looking forward to warmer temps. I need to hang strings on each bell to make them work but need to find a good anchor to tie the end of the rope to on the post. *Adding that to my honey-do list now! 

Y'all know my love for windmills and I got this "garden windmill" from a friend whose dad passed away. He was a veteran who got to go on an Honor Flight and wanted to ask me if I was interested in it. Of course, I wanted it and love that I can look out our kitchen window and see it proudly displayed in my last flower bed that we need to finish. I love it! 

One of my plant hangers and I love how the ice wrapped itself around it too! 


Y'all if you could have seen me scooting my feet on the sidewalks and crunching through the grass to get these photos (and a few more). I love taking photos and have a lot of work to do to get exactly what I want but that's the fun part! 

Our New Year's Day has been pretty lowkey which has been nice. Cooked fried egg sandwiches for Brandon and put together Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Slow Cooker Chili for lunch. (I'll put that recipe in its own blog post for easy reference) Watching TV and relaxing is on the agenda for today for Brandon Gene. I have been working down in my studio off and on trying to get a few things organized and figure out what I am going to tackle next while cleaning and doing laundry! See y'all, never a dull moment around here! 


So for the last 9 days, Brandon Gene has been growing out his beard mainly because I begged him when we were closed on Christmas Eve not to shave and continued to beg him until the first of the year. He hates it and couldn't wait to shave it off but I forgot to get evidence of this last night so he waited to shave so we could get a photo. (Gosh he is a patient man) For about the same amount of time I have been trying to curl my hair... something that I am not good at but just keep trying. (It is getting easier but my goodness takes a lot longer than just flat ironing it!) 

I know, I know... he looks younger without facial hair but I rarely get to see him with any and if I do it's only about 2 days worth when he doesn't shave most weekends. My younger-looking husband will be back soon and it was fun while it lasted! I still love you Sparky with or without facial hair! 

Wishing you all a relaxing first day of the new year!  


No comments:

Post a Comment