Friday, April 10, 2020

COVID-19.... An OpportunityTo Give Back!

April 10, 2020 ~ COVID-19 is something we all think about at some (or several) points throughout the day. It's all around us yet many of us still worry, stress and even panic at this pandemic. I find myself worrying about things I can't control and now have anxiety because of it. (Don't worry, I am able to manage it for now and just remind myself that we are all going through the same things and it's not just one demographic, one age bracket or one area of our country.) I find so much happiness in the number of people who have jumped in to help from sewing masks, mass grocery shopping for others who can't, cooking/donating to feeding children and so much more. Reading about these acts of kindness makes me smile.

As a local glass artist and Etsy Store Owner, I have stopped making any new product at this time. My Etsy Store, MidwayMercantileCo is stocked with many options of fused glass jewelry and gifts ready to ship out within 24-48 hours for FREE in the US (lower 48 states). I have plenty of product to add to my store if needed and hate the thought of my kiln being shut down. #StandWithSmall

You guys, I have wanted to do something to make a difference in the lives of others. I have said many prayers over the last several weeks and many of you know that I am not a selfish person (stubborn and hard-headed maybe but not selfish).  I do what I can to give back in many ways. To date, one of my favorite memories of giving back was for my 41st Birthday when I donated Angel Gowns made from my wedding dress to the hospital I was born at with my mom at my side. (You can watch the YouTube video by clicking on the link)

My husband and I have been trying to support the local restaurants and locally-owned shops but I feel like that isn't enough. We can't eat out every meal but we certainly try to spread the love. As far as the locally-owned shops, thank you for trying new ways to showcase your products. I am sure you would have never dreamed social media could have such a great impact in these trying times but I hope you are seeing the love from so many! (I can't wait until I can get back in your shops and hug you!)

One of my friends, Shawn Barnes posted that he and his wife had decided to quarantine themselves apart until this was over to protect their daughters. His wife, Courtney is a doctor at a local hospital and while this was a super tough decision it was something they felt they needed to do. You guys, it broke my heart. Seeing the sacrifice that our medical profession has given during this crazy time is something that makes my heart hurt. I am so thankful that she is doing this to protect her family but with two young children, I know this isn't easy.  

This was the moment I knew what I wanted to do. 

After a lot of thinking,  I decided that I wanted to do something to give back to the nurses, doctors, and hospital staff for working around the clock to help others while putting themselves at risk. Since I am a Boone Baby I wanted to start with Boone Hospital Center here in Columbia, MO.  I initially worked with a friend and Boone Hospital Trustee, Jan Beckett who I told her my idea and then she connected me with one of their staff members to figure out how to get my idea delivered safely.  

I wanted to make fused glass hearts for the 2,089 hospital staff at Boone so that they could carry a heart in their pocket. When they begin to feel defeated or feel like they are losing hope they can hold this heart (or pray with it) as a gentle reminder that they are truly making a difference and they are loved. You guys, this is just as hard on our medical/hospital staff as they are working extremely hard and with limited supplies. Many of them are separating themselves from those they love to protect them as well. I am sure that the pressures of the job, dealing with families that can't be there with their loved ones and trying to keep themselves healthy certainly takes a toll on them. My hope is that this one small token of appreciation will remind them that we know they are doing the best they can and don't give up hope. 


Why is it my mission to make 2,089 fused glass hearts and not a lesser amount? 
When I asked how many doctors, nurses, and staff were at Boone Hospital Center I was originally told 1,700 and then after reconfirming the number increased to 2,089. I want to make sure every single staff member has a fused glass heart because from the janitors to technicians, to the nurses, to the doctors and to the CEO and every single person in between they are all important in my eyes. Every single person has a role at the hospital and they aren't any less important than the next person. If I am going to do something like this it was important to me that I include all 2,089.
Will you donate them all at once?
Sadly, I will not be able to donate all 2,089 at one time. I have a small Evenheat clamshell kiln that I use to make my jewelry and gifts. In order to make them in a quality look that I am happy with it requires 2 firings in the kiln per item. I am able to fully create 32-48 fused glass hearts per day or around 272 fused glass hearts per 7 days. I will donate 439 fused glass hearts today and continue donating every other week until I reach 2,089 total fused glass hearts. 
(I got a slower start as I needed to test and tune my process. I started with a lessor amount firing each day but now I am up to my full speed)

Each batch of fused glass hearts will be given to the appointed staff member in a plastic container. The container and fused glass hearts can be sanitized under whatever protocol they require at the hospital to ensure they are safe as they are dispersed among staff. (I will not be going to the hospital but rather meet at a disclosed location maintaining appropriate social distancing) 

The first round of donations ready for Boone Hospital Center!
439 Fused Glass Hearts! 

What is the purpose of this?
You guys, I live my life by paying it forward.  I simply wanted to spark an idea among everyone. We all have something we can give. Right now, we have time and I encourage you to use this time to help others because it helps us too. While I am working in my studio creating these fused glass hearts it keeps me focused and thinking about other things. It's something I can create and hopefully bring joy to others. Maybe you have a hidden talent and now you might have some time to give it a try! Have a sewing machine? There are many groups that need help sewing masks just look them up on Facebook. Are you good at tutoring? Many parents need help with homeschooling and would love to have someone they could lean on when their child(ren) have questions they can't answer. Technology makes this great for social distancing and you can work directly with the parents to figure out the need and how you can help with their supervision. Do you want something to do with your child(ren)? What about writing letters and drawing pictures to mail to a nursing home to brighten the day of those living there. There are so many ways we can help one another and keep safe distances.

Creating Fused Glass Hearts In My Studio:
Photo Credit: Yours truly! :)

  Safety first...get those glasses on!

Once you find the glass colors you want you will 
score the glass strips to 1/2" lengths.

It's always better to have a nice pile so that you can
focus on cutting several at one time rather than one at a time.

After the glass is scored you will then 
break the glass with Running Pliers.

I went ahead and made a nice pile of 1/2" strips 
to make the next step easier!

Now that you have the appropriate length, you will start making your hearts. 
Cutting the 1/2" strip to 1" rectangle and a 1/2" square for each fused glass heart. 

I started assembling the hearts on my tile so that they were ready for the kiln.
You will also cut Tekta (clear) glass to put on top so that your fused glass hearts are 6mm thick prior to going in the kiln. This makes for a better product and gives the thickness it needs.

I use a little dab of school glue to hold the Tekta (clear) glass on top of the
colored glass to keep things in place during the firing process.
(The glue burns off during the firing) 

Just trying to get everything to line up the best I can!

This batch is ready for the kiln! 
(I use a larger tile that will hold 16 hearts and this photo was of a test batch) 
The hearts to the right just need Tekta (clear) glass added then they are ready for the kiln!

Why yes, I am a perfectionist and put my heart and soul into my glass creations! 
I just want someone who receives one of my fused glass pieces to know that I want each item to be perfect as possible and with glass, you never know what you will get which is why I love this art form!  

Time to change out my glass trays! 

After removing the fully fired pieces it's time to add another tray in for its firing!
(Test batch)

Time to close the lid and wait for this batch to be done! 

This is the larger tile and you can see that after one firing in
the kiln they really don't have a good "heart" shape.

I have washed them and changed out the kiln paper, as it's only a one
time use to keep the glass from sticking to the tile, and flipped each
heart over to get ready for its second firing.

After the second firing, you can see they have a much better heart shape.
This to me is perfect to donate to the staff at Boone Hospital Center.

I realize that giving these fused glass hearts to the 2,089 staff members at Boone Hospital Center in Columbia, MO is just one area of those working on the front line during COVID-19. We have so many people to thank for keeping daily operations running strong such as truck drivers, store clerks such as Walmart, Target, Sams Club, various grocery stores as well as Gas Station attendants. (If I missed someone please don't take offense as my mind is thinking about a thousand things right now) I could only pick one for now and wanted to make sure I completed this task before thinking about anything else.

I only have one kiln that is programmed allowing me to walk away and handle daily operations of our business that is still working at this time. I come home several times a day to change out trays as well as waking up throughout the late evening and early morning to change out trays and keep the hearts going. I don't get a lot of sleep right now but to me, this is completely worth it. (Perhaps this is a good time to invest in a second kiln that I was going to purchase later this year)

Thank you to everyone who is jumping in at some capacity to help others during this crazy time in our world right now. Just remember, we are all in this together and we will get through this. Take care of yourself and stay safe! 





To everyone on the front line working extremely hard each day to make sure the rest of us are safe, I applaud you! While I am grateful that things aren't as bad in our community as other states and communities I still appreciate you doing everything you can to ensure our safety daily. Don't ever think you aren't an essential person because you certainly are very essential to me!


If you are reading my blog and received one of these fused glass hearts made by me, please feel free to tag me, Midway Mercantile Co on Social Media using any of the following hashtags so I can see the small impact this has made. Anyone who knows me knows that if I could personally pass these out to each and every single one of you I would hug you tightly!

Facebook: Midway Mercantile Co
Instagram: midwaymercantileco

 Hashtags:

#WeApplaudYou
#ThankYou
#BelieveInBoone
#WorkingTogether
#StandWithSmall










No comments:

Post a Comment